Monday, June 27, 2011

Columns of Santa Fe Springs

These top two mosaic pillars are together titled "Reverance for an Era #1." The artist is Kerry Zarders. Since 2005, they have stood on the northeast corner of Telegraph Road and Bloomfield in Santa Fe Springs. Each one is 14 ft. tall.

The artist has done two other installations for the city, which began funding a public art program in 1989. Both are at the same corner. They're at bottom: "Sejat" is on the left and pays tribute to the Native American heritage of the area. "Nueva Historia" is on the right and expresses the Ranchero days. The bottom pillars were put up in  February 2010.

I have a feeling I'm going to be doing more of her work in this blog, because I'm finding benches in Long Beach and panels along the 710 freeway.

I wish I could tell you more about her artwork, but all I've been able to find are her photosets on Flickr, which show many of her mosaics and the processes used to position them.

For now, it seems, Zarders is quite busy running a helpful website called FreshFundraising.com. Which is fine, but I sure hope she's planning to do more mosaics!

No comments: